Monday, April 11, 2005

Which artist said this?

When I was still an adolescent, I went and signed my name on the other side of the sky during a fantastic ‘realistico-imaginary’ voyage.

It was pure chance that led me to judo. Judo has helped me to understand that pictorial space is above all the product of spiritual exercises. Judo is in fact the discovery by the human body of a spiritual space.

I had left the visible, physical blue at the door, outside, in the street. The real blue was inside, the blue of the profundity of space, the blue of my kingdom, of our kingdom! ... the immaterialisation of blue, the coloured space that cannot be seen but which we impregnate ourselves with ... A space of blue sensibility within the frame of the white walls of the gallery.

I remain detached and distant, but it is under my eyes and my orders that the workof art must create itself. Then, when the creation starts, I stand there, present at the ceremony, immaculate, calm, relaxed, perfectly aware of what is going on and ready to welcome the work of art that is coming into existence in the tangible world.

Hours of preparation for something that is executed, with extreme precision, in a
few minutes. Just as with a judo throw.

Today anyone who paints space must actually go into space to paint, but he must go there without any faking, and neither in an aeroplane, a parachute nor a rocket: he must go there by his own means, by an autonomous, individual force; in a word, he must be capable of levitating.
(You can search for the answer at the absolutely brilliant UBUWEB site)
(And for the answer, see the comments)


2 comments:

vvoi said...

It was Yves Klein, the fantastic, crazy, humorous and powerful French artist (1928-1962). His "Artist Leaping into the Void" (or simply "Leap into the Void") is considered by many the inspiration for body art in the way it developed from the 60's till today.
In the above quotes (taken from his selected writings), he refers mainly to his all-blue paintings he called "monochromes" (today the word is common usage), as well as to the "pneumatic period", where he exhibited air in many ingenious ways, and to his "Anthropometries", performances consisting in painting canvas with humans (pretty girls, of course...) serving as paintbrushes.
I hope you feel the sense of humor and self-criticism, which make him one of my favorite modern artists.

dan said...

sempre boas referências por aqui, já estas nas minhas "voltinhas pelos blogues".
dá-lhe vvoi!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails